Friday, February 20, 2009

I LOVE YOU

Three words that can mean so much!
However they can be very easy to say. Or, maybe not.
Growing up those three words were rarely said around my home and when I asked Mike he said they were not mentioned too much either at his house. I suppose it was the generation our parents came from, what with war and the economic times. But then when I think about my childhood I felt content and safe, is that not a result of Love?
All around me these days I hear people end conversations on their cell phones with "love you" so very easily said, do they really mean it? And WHY is the "I" not said? Does it make it easier? Should it be easier????
Now yes I do tell my nieces and nephews that I Love them during conversations with them, but I say it sincerely and I most generally get a return I love you and I am pretty certain they mean it! I have said it to my Mom and I think she has been surprised, but I hope she liked hearing it. To be honest I can not remember more than 2-3 times where my Mom told me she loved me, but I know she loves me, without her saying it.
When we come home from being away from our pets we are greeted with such overwhelming, how do I say it....hugs and kisses (jumps and licks) from our Chihuahua, Rico and our Labs, Abby & Lucy and we know they love us, it is obvious, especially when I am dozing on the couch and I open up my eyes and there sits Lucy just looking at me, waiting for a little stroke on her nose and appreciating it so very much. Our cats, well who knows, they may or may not love us. It is my opinion they love us especially when we feed them, but at night when we are sitting around and they come and snuggle by and start purring I really "feel the love".
Mike and I will be married 22 years on April 1st, we have a great marriage after all we are together almost 24/7 and that is the true test for me. Yes there are moments and some tiffs but it is part of the relationship. I used to think it was important to get a present on our anniversary and Valentines day from Mike to "prove his love" for me. I am not sure when I stopped feeling it was necessary, I know he loves me and being with him every day is a gift, yes we have a great love for one another. It reminds me of the scene from FIDDLER ON THE ROOF where Tevye asks Golde if she loves him and she answers by reviewing their life together. And yes I have washed his clothes, cooked his meals, cleaned his house, and shared his bed. No, we do not have children together, our babies are our business' Spieth Photography and The McClure Guesthouse. And if this is not love what is?
Oh yes and The Most Important Part of our Life together is our Love for the Lord, we share our deep faith and we are blessed with a great marriage and life together. I thank God for this every day!
Mike and I do say "I love you" daily but not out loud, after all actions do speak louder than words and by the way this year for Valentines day, Mike surprised me with RED KEDS!

3 comments:

Jamie said...

I enjoyed this. :)

Red Keds huh? I'm going to have to come by to check those out... ;)

sribbler said...

one can express the real love without this word also..sure, actions speak more than words..

Dawn said...

i am so excited that you got your red keds! yippee!! i enjoyed your thoughts on those three little words. yes, actions speak of love... but i need the words, too!!