Monday, February 2, 2009

RED KEDS

As a small girl I really wanted to wear Keds and red ones at that!
Being the oldest I usually got the clothing and "new" shoes that were eventually passed on down. Kathy, the next in line got bypassed with the shoes since she had a much wider foot. So I think Patti more than likely got the hand me down shoes. We lived in a time when you had to pass clothing and shoes on, especially in a family of 4 kids. In the end there were 6 kids but during the tighter financial time there were only 4 of us. And you know we did not get "the best" [Red Keds] but our lives were full and we were happy.
I don't remember having a "tude" like kids today do, however I am sure we too were tough to our parents, BUT we had respect for our parents, teachers and for ourselves. I have to look real hard these days to find that in the children around me.
When we were young you were noticed if you were a problem child and disrespectful. Isn't it something that today a child gets noticed for being good and respectful? What is wrong with this picture? But then who am I to judge. I have not been blessed with children, but perhaps that just is the blessing......
I suppose I can judge because I work with children as a photographer, as a Girl Scout Leader, as an aunt, as a step mom and step granny. I just hope I have somehow instilled in these young people a bit of good and respect. Only time will tell. I am lucky to have great nieces and nephews as well as through the years all of my Girl Scouts are really great girls. Oh and yes most certainly the majority of the kids that have worked for me know what respect is. Of course there are a few who have had "tudes", but still they are great kids.
Now back to the Red Keds. Yesterday at church one of the girls had Red Keds on and she most certainly does not have a "tude". I began to think about all of this and then I thought, aha maybe I had a "tude" and that is why I never got my Red Keds.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

so you still don't have red keds? i have to say... i did indulge myself and buy a pair... with tiny polka dots! i love them, but i don't wear them that often. these days, there do seem to be a fair amount of kids who are just rude... but i am a "half-full" kinda girl, so i try to just focus on how many great kids there are! some days it sure is hard. i am just so very thankful that mine are so easy going~

Dawn said...

hi again! i left you something over at my blog :)